Honjo International Scholarship Foundation for International Students, Japan
This scholarship is open to foreign students who will attend a graduate school at a Japanese university after April 1, 2012.
Number of Scholarships Available 15 to 20 students
Requirements (To be considered for the scholarship, the student must satisfy ALL of the requirement criteria below.)
1. The student is registered to attend a graduate school in Japan and does not possess Japanese citizenship. His or her academic achievement as well as moral character is exemplary. He or she must be considered to be in need of financial aid due to extenuating financial circumstances.
2. The student must be registered to attend or have been accepted to attend a graduate school after April 1, 2012. He or she must be able to provide any of the following documentation: a certificate of enrollment, letter of admission or a letter attesting to the fact that the student has been accepted.
3. To be eligible, students enrolled in a PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1976. Those enrolled in a Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1981.
4. The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in his or her home country after graduating from a graduate school.
5. The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and be committed to make his or her contribution.
6. The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese
1. The student is not permitted to receive any other scholarship in conjunction with the scholarship offered by the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation.
2. The student cannot gain employment other than part-time work related to his or her studies such as teaching assistant, research assistant, translator or interpreter while receiving this scholarship
Amount and Duration of Scholarships
(1) ¥200,000 per month for1 or 2 years
(2)¥180,000 per month for 3 years
(3) ¥150,000 per month for 4 or 5 years
(Travel expenses for conferences, other expenses will be covered regarding to the scholarship rules
1. Applications are accepted between October 1, 2011 and November 30, 2011.
2. First selection: The first selection will be conducted with documents submitted by applicants. The results of the first selection will be announced by January 1, 2012.
3. Second selection: Interviews will be conducted between February 1 and 15, 2012, in Tokyo. Its detailed schedule will be communicated at a later date directly to those who passed the first step of the selection process.
4. Scholarship awarded: Mid-March, 2012.
How to Apply
1. Please visit the website below and write a form, and get your application number.
2. Write down the application number you got on the application form and send by post mail the documents listed below to the Administration Office.
a) Scholarship application form (provided by the Foundation). Please make sure to write your application numbers and attach your photo to the form as instructed.
b) Your resume (provided by the Foundation)
c) Personal information form (provided by the Foundation)
d) Academic transcript: Please provide the transcript i) from the university where you graduated AND ii) any other courses that you are currently taking or have taken in the past. If you transferred into the university, the transcript from the previous school is needed. Photocopies are acceptable.
e) Research plan: In Japanese, describe focusing around following four points; i) an outline of your research; ii) projected schedule between now and graduation; iii) plans and goals for the future; iv) research you have conducted in the past (if any). There is no limit on the number of pages or style. Typed or hand-written.
f) One letter of recommendation from a professor. (This confidential letter should mention the applicant’s academic achievements, character/personality, and his or her potential for the future.) There is no limit on the number of pages or style.
g) A certificate of enrollment or a letter of admission. (Photocopies are acceptable.)
Application Deadline: Postmarked on/by November 30, 2011.
Please send your application package to: Honjo International Scholarship Foundation 1-14-9, Tomigaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0063
Send inquiries to email@example.com