1. Categories of Applicants and Duration of Scholarship
|Category of Applicants Scholarship||Duration|
|Bachelor’s Degree Candidates||4 Years|
|Master’s Degree Candidates||2-3 Years|
|Doctoral Degree Candidates||3 Years|
|Chinese Language Students||1-2 Years|
|Professional Advanced Students||1-2 Years|
|Research Scholars||1-2 Years|
2. Application Procedures and Timing
Applicants submit their applications to institutions of higher learning eligible to enroll scholarship students from February to May each year.
3. EligibilityBasic Qualifications:
The applicant should be a non-Chinese citizen in good health.
1) Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree Program: The applicant should be under the age of 25 and have a high school graduation certificate and good academic performance. Those who are currently in China should have been admitted by one of the twelve specified universities or colleges in Yunnan Province.
2) Scholarship for Master’s Degree Program: The applicant should be under the age of 35 and have a Bachelor’s degree certificate and good academic performance. Applicants who are currently in China should have been admitted by one of the twelve specified universities or colleges in Yunnan Province. Applicants who submit their application from outside China should be recommended by two professors or associate professors.
3) Scholarship for Doctoral Degree Program: The applicant should be under the age of 40 and have a Bachelor’s degree certificate and good academic performance. The applicant who is currently in China should have been admitted by one of the twelve specified universities or colleges in Yunnan Province. The applicant who submits their applications outside China should be recommended by two professors or associate professors.
4) Scholarship for Chinese Language Program: The applicant should not be a graduate of Chinese language major and should have no Chinese language foundation. The applicant should also be under the age of 35 and hold a high school graduation certificate.
5) Scholarship for Professional Advanced Study Program: The applicant should be a sophomore or above in a institution of higher learning or have a Bachelor’s degree and should be under the age of 45.
6) Scholarship for Research Scholar Program: The applicant should focus on some particular subject under the guidance of a Chinese supervisor and should be recommended by two professors or associate professors. The applicant should also have a Master’s degree or above and be under the age of 50.
Notes: The scholarship for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Degrees is only applicable to those who have been admitted by universities or colleges which possess the qualification to enroll government scholarship students. Applicants for all programs listed above except the Chinese Language Program should possess the appropriate HSK levels as required.
4. Scholarship Rates
The average rates of the scholarship are as follows:
Scholarship for Doctoral Degree Program: RMB 40,000/person/year;
Scholarship for Master’s Degree Program and Research Scholar Program: RMB 35,000/ person/year;
Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree Program and Professional Advanced Study Program: RMB 30,000/ person/year;
Scholarship for Chinese Language Program: RMB 25,000/ person/year
The scholarship covers: registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials, accommodation fee, the same health insurance fee with Chinese students, basic living allowance and so on.
5. Application Materials
The applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely.
1) The original script and one copy of Application Form for Yunnan Provincial Government Scholarship for Students from Neighboring Countries (filled in Chinese or English);
2) The notarized highest education certificate and academic transcripts. University students or applicants employed shall also provide proof of studying or employment with their application. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English;
3) HSK Transcript.
4) Bachelor’s degree candidates should submit the admission notice and academic transcripts of the admission examination organized by institutions that have enrolled them.
5) Master’s and Doctoral degree candidates should have two recommendation letters (in Chinese or English) by professors or associate professors and admission notice;
6) A study or research plan in Chinese or English (not less than 300 words for Bachelor’s degree program, not less than 400 words for advanced study program and not less than 500 words for other programs);
7) Master’s and Doctoral degree candidates should have two recommendation letters by professors or associate professors and admission notice.
8) Applicants for music or art programs are required to submit a tape and six photographs (two sketches, two color paintings and two others) of their works.
9) Research scholars should submit the contents of their major works or papers published.
10) One copy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (identically printed by Chinese quarantine authority and filled in English)
6. Selection of Institutions and Specialties
Applicants may choose institutions and specialties from the name list of institutions of higher education in Yunnan Province eligible to enroll provincial government scholarship students. Please check the details or submit the application forms to the institutions directly.
7. Approval and Notification
In accordance with the application qualifications of this scholarship, foreign students submit their applications to related institutions, and then the institutions will comprehensively assess the applicants’ materials with the scholarship eligibility as the base and applicants’ wishes as reference. The institutions will then deliver the assessment results and application materials to Yunnan Provincial Education Department. After approval by the education department, the winners will be officially confirmed.
The applications will be regarded as invalid and will not be accepted if they fail to meet the enrollment requirements or the application documents are incomplete.
Yunnan Provincial Education Department will send the Admission List, Admission Notice and “Visa Application Form for Study in China” (JW201) to the institutions which will inform the winners of this scholarship before July 31st.
8. Contact Details
Yunnan Provincial Education Department:
Address: No.2, Xuefu Rd., Kunming, China
Postal Code: 650223
Tel.: 0086-871-5141238 5170038
Institutions Eligible to Enroll Scholarship Students:
Yunnan Agricultural University
Kunming Medical University
Yunnan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Yunnan University of Nationalities
Yunnan University of Finance and Economics
University of Honghe
Xishuangbanna Vocational and Technical Institute