The East Asia Institute (EAI) invites undergraduate and graduate students to share their thoughts on the critical challenges facing our global society through the “EPIK Young Leaders Conference 2011: Essay Competition.” The EPIK Young Leaders Conference, as an academic forum for sharing a global mindset among young people, has now become an annual event following the success of its inaugural conference last year.
EPIK Young Leaders Conference 2011: Essay Competition
In light of the global challenges lying ahead, the role of youth in addressing these challenges grows important. This essay competition strives to offer a great opportunity for students not only to present their innovative ideas but also to enrich the extensive networks with each other by exchanging views. We encourage you think analytically, creatively, and strategically while participating in the “EPIK Young Leaders Conference 2011: Essay Competition.“
Participants can choose any topic pertaining to the main question, “In this age of uncertainty, what is a new, sustainable vision for our future? What can you and the young people of the world do to realize that vision?”
1. Essays must be submitted by undergraduate and graduate students aged 18-35.
2. Essays must be approximately 5,000 words in English.
3. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
4. Entries must be submitted by email (email@example.com) only.
5. Email entries must be in MS Word format.
6. All submissions must be original and unpublished.
7. The EPIK Young Leaders Conference is proceeded in English.
8. After two rounds of competition, the finalists will have an opportunity to get feedback from the advisory committee members and present their papers at the conference on August 17, 2011.
Application must be submitted now through March 30, 2011.
Application includes a 400 word proposal, resume and cover letter. [Download]
1. First Round
March 30, 2011: Application deadline
April 20, 2011: The first selections to be announced.
2. Second Round
June 20, 2011: Deadline for the first draft (approximately 5,000 words)
July 10, 2011: The final selections to be announced.
3. Final Essay Submission
August 10, 2011: Deadline for the final draft (approximately 5,000 words) after consultation with the advisory committee members
4. EPIK Young Leaders Conference 2011
August 17, 2011: Essay presentation and award ceremony
1st prize: 1,000,000 KRW (one person)
2nd prize: 500,000 KRW (two persons)