FIELDS OF RESEARCH:
All fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included under this program.
APPLICANT (HOST RESEARCHER) ELIGIBILITY:
The applicant (host researcher) must be a researcher who is employed full-time or classified as being employed full-time (excluding Jokyo, assistant professors, and Joshu, research assistants) at a university or research institution that is eligible to apply to MEXT for funding under the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific-Research Program (Kakenhi) and approved by JSPS as an appropriate institution for hosting young foreign researchers..
Note: Full-time employment classification is determined by the regulations of the host institution.
CANDIDATE (FELLOW) ELIGIBILITY:
Each candidate (fellow) for the Fellowship must:
1. Be a citizen of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
(JSPS treats Taiwanese and Palestinian researchers in this manner.)
2. Hold a doctorate degree when the Fellowship goes into effect, which must have been received on or after April 2, 2005, or be scheduled to receive a doctorate degree before the Fellowship goes into effect.
3. Have arranged in advance a research plan with his/her Japanese host researcher
Note: Those who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Foreign Researchers (excluding Postdoctoral Fellowship Program (Short-term) for North American and European Researchers and Summer Program) are not eligible.
NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS AWARDED:
For the 1stRecruitment (September 2010): approximately 150 Fellowships will be granted.
For the 2ndRecruitment (May 2011): approximately 150 Fellowships will be granted.
DURATION AND COMMENCEMENT OF FELLOWSHIPS:
1. Fellowships are awarded for a period of 12 to 24 months.
2. Successful candidates must start the Fellowship in Japan during the following periods:
For the 1stRecruitment: April 1, 2011 – September 30, 2011
For the 2ndRecruitment: September 1, 2011 – November 30, 2011
TERMS OF AWARD (FELLOWS ONLY):
(The amounts of the Awards indicated below are subject to change for budgetary reasons.)
1. A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
2. A monthly maintenance allowance of ¥362,000
3. A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000, Overseas travel accident and sickness insurance coverage, etc.
Note 2:If the Fellow resides in Japan on the date his/her award letter is issued, the above-mentioned air ticket to Japan and settling-in allowance will not be provided.
A “Grant-In-Aid for Scientific Research” (Tokubetsu Kenkyuin Shorei-hi) oof up to ¥1,500,000 per year (total of ¥3,000,000 for two years) is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses.
Application for these grants is made by the host researcher through his/her institution.
Application deadline (for host institution):
a. 1stRecruitment: 30 August 2010 – 3 September 2010
b. 2ndRecruitment: 6-12 May 2011
Note : These deadlines are for the head of the host institution to submit the application to JSPS; the time frames for applicants (host researchers) to submit their applications are normally earlier.
Overseas Fellowship Division,
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
6, Ichiban-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8471