Each year, an independent selection committee of academics and international education experts is assembled to select the Undergraduate Scholarship grantees. This committee is looking for students who:
– are currently second and third year students and will be in their third and fourth year during their stay in Germany
– are seeking DAAD support for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year.
– possess outstanding academic records and personal integrity, as evinced by both their grades and letters of recommendation.
– are US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents thereof. Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian university for more than one year at the time of application and will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their Bachelor’s degree.
– have well-defined study, research or internship plans for their stay in Germany.
– submit the DAAD language evaluation form with their application, although German language competency is not mandatory.
– demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and who explain the significance of their project in Germany to their future studies, research or professional goals.
– are enrolled, full-time students in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited North American college or university.
Terms of Award
Scholarships may be granted for a minimum of four (one semester) and a maximum of 10 months (one academic year). Recipients will be awarded a monthly stipend of approximately € 650, plus additional funds to help defray travel and research expenses as well as health insurance.
Note: The scholarship periods must take place during the German academic year (anywhere from October 2011 through July 2012)
The Application Process
The application form must be completed online.
You must send:
the ORIGINAL PRINTOUT of the application WITH YOUR SIGNATURE
our supplemental documents and materials
and 3 ADDITIONAL COPIES OF EVERYTHING
Supplemental Documents are:
– Project Proposal (approximately 3 pages, see FAQs for tips)
– Two Letters (no more, no less) of Recommendation: If you have two majors, please submit letters from professors in both of your major fields of study; Otherwise, please submit a letter from a professor in your major field of study, and a letter from a professor in one of your minor fields of study. Please make sure to tell your professors not to send letters in German!
– Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility.
– Click here to download the Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility.
– One of the following: Acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university. (see FAQs if you have questions)
– Transcripts (for the Undergraduate Scholarship Program only college transcripts!)
– Language Evaluation Certificate (Sprachzeugnis). (All applicants are required to submit this, even if your study program is in English.)
– Click here to download the Language Evaluation Certificate (Sprachzeugnis).
All applications for the academic year 2011/12 must be postmarked by January 31
Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
If you have questions regarding the Undergraduate Scholarship award, please contact: email@example.com