TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata, India have agreed to offer five fellowships annually to young foreign scientists from developing countries who wish to pursue research leading towards a PhD in physical sciences.
Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the fellowships “for research collaboration”, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and TWOWS that are mutually exclusive.
1.TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India – http://www.bose.res.in – for studies leading towards a PhD degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension. Research areas carried out include:
Electronic structure and physics of materials.
Soft condensed matter, complex systems and statistical physics;
High energy physics and mathematical physics;
Optics, mesoscopic phenomena and chemical physics;
Experimental physics: magnetism, in particular manganites, Birkhaussen effect, Mössbauer spectroscopy, superconductivity, mechanical stress-strain relaxation, dielectric spectroscopy in the nano and pico time scales, as well as noise measurements in terms of resistance fluctuation spectroscopy;
Nanoscience and technology: Synthesis of nanomaterials; physical measurements using scaling probe microscopy; mesoscopic phenomena; electronic structure and modelling; nanolithography; nanobiophysics;
Theoretical chemistry: Density functional theory, quantum fluid dynamics and applications; atoms/molecules under intense or super-intense laser fields; atoms/molecules under strong magnetic fields; quantum chaos; computational quantum chemistry (novel molecules, nanoclusters, biomolecules, drug-DNA interaction modelling); theoretical spectroscopy and relaxation phenomena; simulation studies and non-equilibrium thermodynamics.
2.Admission to the PhD programme at the S.N. Bose National Centre will depend on the successful completion of coursework (about one year’s duration).
3.S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided.
4.The language of instruction is English.
Candidates for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
– be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
– be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
– be employed at a university or research institution;
– hold a Master’s degree in physics, mathematics or physical chemistry;
– be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre. Requests for preliminary acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Center for Sciences, Kolkata by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477 (a sample Acceptance Letter is contained in the application form which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the page under “related content”);
– provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Click on the links below to download the application form and guidelines. Before applying it is recommended that you read very carefully the application guidelines for detailed information on eligibility criteria, deadlines and other key requirements of the application procedure.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240314
Fax: +39 040 2240689