The Sato International Scholarship Foundation grants two types of scholarship for self-supporting students from ASEAN countries as well as Southwest Asian countries enrolled in a Japanese undergraduate or graduate institution:
- Scholarship for Self-Supporting Students
- Scholarship for Short-Term Exchange Students.
Students from the Following Countries are Eligible to Apply: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, East Timor, Vietnam
Scholarship for Self-Supporting Students
The applicant must be residing in Japan, enrolled in or accepted to a legitimate program. Please apply through the students’ office of your university.
Amount of Scholarship
- Undergraduate students: 120,000 yen/month
- Graduate students: 180,000 yen/month（ plus additional support to cover cost for attending conferences ）
Duration of Scholarship: 2 years
Number of Scholarships Granted: Around 10 students will be accepted.
The applicant must be a citizen from the aforesaid countries, who does not hold Japanese citizenship and must be enrolled in a Japanese undergraduate or graduate institution, under the jurisdiction of the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
The applicant must also fulfill the following requirements:
- Does not receive any sort of scholarship or funding from other parties.
- Holds legal residence status as a college student.
- Have interest in promoting international understanding and friendship, and is able to attend SISF meetings (meetings are held 6 times/year).
- Does not have a parent employed in Japan.
- Does not hold a doctorate degree.
- Is enrolled in a program with more than 1 year left until graduation/completion (from April 2009). This restriction does not apply to doctorate program.
Scholarship for Short-Term Exchange Students
This scholarship is provided to students who are recommended by those designated universities that have secured an agreement of recommendation with the Sato International Scholarship Foundation. Scholarship as well as travel fee to Japan is provided to those students from the aforesaid countries who will study in Japan on a short term based on the agreement among universities for study exchange.
Amount of Scholarship: 100,000 yen/month
Duration of Scholarship: Over 6 months, up to 10 months; however scholarship terminates upon completion of the program.
Designated Universities: The University of Electro-Communications, University of Tokyo, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Tokyo Institute of Technology, University of Tsukuba, J.F. Oberlin University, Rikkyo University.
Address: Asahi Seimei Ebisu Building 11th Floor
1-3-1 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan , Postal Code 150-0013
Telephone: (81) 3-5789-2190 , Fax: (81) 3-5420-5682