The Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA) was established by the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) in 1966 primarily “to provide to the participating countries high quality graduate study in agriculture; promote, undertake, and coordinate research programs related to the needs and problems of the Southeast Asian region; and disseminate the findings of agricultural research and experimentation.” The Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA) invites applications for its graduate scholarship (MS and PhD) in agriculture and related fields (including biological sciences, social sciences, economics and statistics, forestry and fisheries, environmental sciences, agro-industrial technology and engineering, biochemistry, and development management).
PhD Research Scholarship
Launched in November 2005, the SEARCA PhD Research Scholarship provides financial support to a limited number of qualified PhD students whose researches are relevant to the priority thrusts of SEARCA.
This scholarship program aims to:
- Provide PhD students the opportunity to use the resources and facilities available at SEARCA and its network of universities for their research;
- Produce quality research papers for publication; and
- Enable them to work with SEARCA’s R&D personnel on mutually identified areas of concerns/interests in agriculture and rural development.
Eligibility for the Grant
Any graduate student who is a citizen of any SEAMEO member country and pursuing a PhD in agriculture or related sciences from any university in the world is eligible to apply for the scholarship.The applicant must have already completed his/her course work with an approved dissertation proposal and is ready to conduct the dissertation research.The applicant’s research must focus on any of SEARCA’s priority thrusts under the broad themes of natural resource management and promotion of agricultural competitiveness.
- Filled out Application Form (see below);
- Letter of application for the research scholarship;
- Recommendation letter from the Dean of Graduate School of the university where the student is pursuing his/her degree program;
- Dissertation research outline/proposal approved by the Advisory Committee and Dean of Graduate School;
- Budgetary requirement for the entire research duly attested and recommended by the major adviser and Dean of Graduate School;
- Certified transcript of academic records for all courses taken at the PhD level;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter from the student certifying that he/she is not receiving any other research grant from any other institution. If partial funding has been obtained from other sources, a certification from the funding agency indicating the amount of grant and the items in the research that are covered by the grant; and
- Research timetable indicating the activities involved in the research, the expected date of defense and expected date of seminar paper presentation.
Application deadlines are 1 April and 1 September.Applications should be addressed to:
Dr. Editha C. Cedicol, Manager of Graduate Scholarship Department, SEARCA, Los Baños 4031 Laguna, PhilippinesPhD Research Scholarship
- SEARCA PhD Research Scholarship application form
- PhD Research Scholarship Invitation for Applications
MS/PhD ScholarshipsIts people are Southeast Asia’s most potent force for progress. Hence, agricultural human resource development has been SEARCA’s primary goal since its establishment. SEARCA is one of the “centers of excellence” established by SEAMEO. As such, SEARCA assists SEAMEO member countries in producing highly trained human resources in agriculture and related sciences to accelerate agricultural and rural development in Southeast Asia.
Two of SEARCA’s activities that carry out this mandate are the Graduate Study Program and the University Consortium. Both activities are handled by the Graduate Scholarship Department (GSD).This degree scholarship was initiated in academic year 1968-69 and aims to ensure the relevance and responsiveness of Southeast Asia’s agricultural scientists and professionals to global sustainable development issues.
The program provides support for advanced studies leading to the MS and PhD degrees in agriculture, forestry, and related fields. Thus, SEARCA aims to prepare grantees for positions of leadership in developing economies of SEAMEO member countries.
Applicants may also view information on benefits and privileges of scholars, places of study, application procedures, where to apply, recruitment procedures, and conditions of the grant.
Benefits and Privileges
The SEARCA scholarship offers the following benefits and privileges:
Financial Support covers stipend, tuition, international and domestic travel allowances, thesis/dissertation support, book allowance, and health insurance. The domestic travel allowance is sometimes allowed to support registration fees in training courses/seminars/workshops.
Discounted Accommodation. Scholars are encouraged to stay at the SEARCA Residence Hotel (SRH) to meet other graduate students of different nationalities. Scholars who bring their families with them can stay in SEARCA apartments, also at subsidized rental fee.
Assistance with Student Visa Processing. The Center takes care of processing the extension of its scholars’ student visas for the duration of their scholarship.
Computer Purchase Loan. This is given to scholars without interest and payable to the Center in a specified number of months through automatic stipend deduction.
In-house and Other Training Courses or Seminars. Scholars may avail of these training courses upon request, especially in fields related to their studies. Official functions like the weekly SEARCA Agriculture and Development Seminar Series are also open to them. They are, therefore, exposed to exchange of ideas outside their classrooms.
Use of SEARCA Facilities. Facilities open to SEARCA scholars are the Center’s Library and Email Room. Scholars studying at UPLB are given free SEARCA e-mail accounts and e-mail access.
Participation in Sociocultural Activities. SEARCA scholars are introduced to the SEARCA family through orientation/welcome party. Being part of the SEARCA family, they are invited to the Center’s summer outing, sportsfest, anniversary celebration, and Christmas parties.
Counseling. Scholars who are experiencing academic difficulties and those with personal problems may seek guidance from the Graduate Scholarship Department.
Places of Study
Any of the following universities, as well as those that have institutional arrangements with SEARCA, may serve as study posts of SEARCA MS and PhD scholars:
- University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
- Kasetsart University (KU)Bangkok, Thailand
- Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB)Bogor, Indonesia
- University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD)Quezon City, Philippines
- University of the Philippines Visayas (UPV)Miag-ao, Iloilo, Philippines
- Thammasat UniversityThailand
- National University of SingaporeSingapore
- University of IndonesiaJakarta, Indonesia
- Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM)Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Five of these universities are members of the Southeast Asian University Consortium for Graduate Education in Agriculture and Natural Resources. SEARCA serves as the Secretariat of the University Consortium.SEARCA reserves the right to make the final decision on the choice of ten scholars’ study post. Therefore, applicants are required to submit to SEARCA applications for admission to the Graduate Schools of three universities in the list.
Where to ApplyBrunei Darussalam
THE PERMANENT SECRETARYMinistry of EducationBandar Seri Begawan BB 3510Brunei DarussalamTel: (673-2) 381 060Fax: (673-2) 380 101THE DIRECTOR OF AGRICULTUREDepartment of AgricultureMinistry of Industry and Primary ResourcesOld Airport Berakas BB 3510Brunei DarussalamTel: (673-2) 380 144Fax: (673-2) 382 226THE DIRECTOR OF FORESTRYDepartment of ForestryMinistry of Industry and Primary ResourcesJalan Menteri BesarBandar Seri Begawan BB 3910Brunei DarussalamTel: (673-2) 222687 / 222450Fax: (673-2) 241012THE DIRECTOR OF FISHERIESDepartment of FisheriesMinistry of Industry and Primary ResourcesJalan Menteri BesarBandar Seri Begawan BB 3910Brunei DarussalamTel: (673-2) 242067 to 8/ 243412Fax: (673-2) 242069
THE DIRECTORCultural Relations and Scholarship DepartmentMinistry of Education, Youth, and Sports80 Norodom BoulevardPhnom Penh, CambodiaTel: (855-23) 820 268, 326 156Fax: (855-23) 219 576THE MINISTERMinistry of Agriculture and Forestry and Fisheries200 Norodom Blvd.Phnom Penh, CambodiaTel: (855-12) 211 351, 211 352Fax: (855-23) 217 320THE MINISTERMinistry of Rural DevelopmentPRIP Office, 3rd FloorCorner Road 169 and Russian Blvd.Phnom Penh, CambodiaTel: (855-23) 884 160, (855-12) 938 072Fax: (855-23) 884 160
THE HEADBureau for International CooperationMinistry of Education and CultureGedung C. Lantai 7Jln Jenderal SudirmanSenayan, Jakarta 10270 IndonesiaTel: (62-21) 581 665, 582 954, 584 477Fax: (62-21) 573 6870THE MINISTERMinistry of AgricultureRoom No. 3, 5th Floor, Building C, Jl. HarsonoRagunan, Pasar MingguJakarta, IndonesiaTel: (62-21) 581 665, 582 954, 584 477Fax (62-21) 573 8181, 572 0162THE MINISTERMinistry of Forestry and Estate CropsManggala WanabhaktiJl. Jen Gatot Subroto, Jakarta 10270 IndonesiaTel: (62-21) 573 0213, 573 0475Fax: (62-21) 573 8732
Lao PDR THE DIRECTORDepartment of Planning and International CooperationMinistry of Education and Sports P.O. Box 67, Lane Xang Ave.Vientiane, Lao PDRTel: (856-21) 217 927, 212 108, 216 005Fax: (856-21) 216 006, 212 108, 215 628
THE MINISTERMinistry of Agriculture and ForestryP.O. Box 811, Lane Xang Ave.Vientiane, Lao PDRTel: (856-21) 412 340Fax: (856-21) 412 341
THE SECRETARY GENERALInternational Affairs DivisionMinistry of Higher EducationBlock E3, Parcel EThe Federal Government Administrative Center62605 Putrajaya, MalaysiaTel: (60-3) 8883 5000Fax: (60-3) 8889 1327THE MINISTERMinistry of Agriculture1st Floor, Wisma Tani, Jalan 03Sultan Salahuddin 50632Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaTel: (60-3) 2671 5000Fax: (60-3) 2691 3758THE MINISTERMinistry of Rural Development10th Floor, Menara Aetna UniversalJalan Raja ChulanKuala Lumpur, MalaysiaFax: (856-21) 412 341
THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR-GENERAL (Training)Department of Education, Planning, and TrainingMinistry of EducationThein Byu Road, Botahtaung TownshipYangon, MyanmarTel (95-1) 286 704, 289 538Fax: (95-1) 285 480THE MINISTERMinistry of Agriculture and IrrigationThirimaingalal Lane, Yankin TownshipYangon, MyanmarTel: (95-1) 663 270Fax: (95-1) 663 984THE MINISTERMinistry of ForestryThirimingala Lane, Kabe AyePagoda Road, Mayangon TownshipYangon, MyanmarTel: (95-1) 289 184Fax: (95-1) 665 661
THE CHAIRCommission on Higher Education3rd Floor, Development Academy of the Philippines (DAP) BuildingSan Miguel Ave., Pasig City, PhilippinesTel: (63-2) 910 0823, 633 2713Fax: (63-2) 635 5829THE SECRETARYDepartment of AgricultureElliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City, PhilippinesTel: (63-2) 928 8741 to 65Fax: (63-2) 929 8183THE SECRETARYDepartment of Environment and Natural ResourcesDENR Building, Visayas Ave.Diliman, Quezon City, PhilippinesTel: (63-2) 929 6633 to 35 / 929 6626 to 29Fax: (63-2) 420 4352
Singapore THE HEADInternational Relations Planning DivisionMinistry of Education1 North Buona Vista DriveSingapore 138675Tel: (65-6) 879 6036Fax (65-6) 775 2457
THE DEPUTY PERMANENT SECRETARY Ministry of EducationRajdamnern AvenueBangkok 10300, ThailandTel: (66-2) 628 5647Fax: (66-2) 281 0953THE MINISTERMinistry of Agriculture and CooperativesThanon Ratchadamnoen NokBangkok 10200, ThailandTel: (66-2) 281 5884Fax: (66-2) 280 1691
THE DIRECTORDirectorate of Tertiary EducationMinistry of Education, Culture, Youth and SportsVilla Verde, DiliTel: (67-0) 724 4098, 723 4881Fax: (67-0) 333 9025 THE PERMANENT SECRETARYInternational Relations DivisionMinistry of Agriculture, Forestry and FisheriesFomento Building, Dili, P.O. Box 670Fax: (67-0) 390 325121
THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERALInternational Cooperation DepartmentMinistry of Education and Training49 Dai Co Viet StreetHanoi, VietnamTel: (84-4) 868 3620Fax: (84-4) 869 3243, 869 4085THE MINISTERMinistry of Agriculture and Rural Development2 Ngoc Ha, Ba DinhHanoi, VietnamTel: (84-4) 823 5804Fax: (84-4) 823 0381
Any interested national of a SEAMEO member country may apply for scholarship. Applications may be submitted to any one of the following Ministries of his/her own country:
- Ministy of Education
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Forestry
- Ministry of Fisheries
- Ministry of Rural Development
Application forms and information brochures on the universities that may serve as study posts of SEARCA scholars are available at these Ministries.Each applicant is required to submit the following documents:
- SEARCA Scholarship Application Form (2 copies);
- Application forms for admission to the Graduate School of the universities where the applicant may pursue graduate studies under SEARCA scholarship;
- Official transcript of academic records of each degree completed (BS transcript for MS applicants and BS and MS transcripts for PhD applicants);
- Certification of employment;
- A two-page write-up on agricultural competitiveness or natural resource management;
- A brief description of the research that the applicant plans to conduct for thesis/dissertation. The research topic must be in line with the priority thrusts of SEARCA. (SEARCA Five-Year Plan may be viewed at http://www.searca.org/web/e_library/reports/SEARCA%208th%20Five-Year%20Plan.pdf);
- Two copies of passport-size pictures of the applicant;
- Certification from a medical doctor that the applicant is in good physical and mental health condition and is fit to undertake graduate studies;
- Official endorsement from the employer;
- Results of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): score of 550 for paper-based and 213 for computer-based) or IELTS results (6.0). The TOEFL results must be issued by Princeton, New Jersey, USA. Check the schedule and venue of TOEFL tests in your country at http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/tclists/BOTH_a.html or download copy of the schedule here .
- SEARCA – download
UP Los Baños Graduate School (UPLB GS)
– UPLB GS Form No. 1 (Application) download
– UPLB GS Form No. 2 (Recommendation) download
– UPLB GS Form No. 3 (English Proficiency) download
UP Diliman (UPD)
– College of Science download
– School of Economics download
UP Visayas (UPV)
– Graduate Program in Fisheries download
– Graduate Program in Marine Affairs download
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) – Graduate Program download
- Kasetsart University (KU) – Graduate Program download
- Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB) – Graduate Program download
- Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM) – Graduate Program download
Contact detail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org