Biodiversity loss can lead to human extinction. Unfortunately, this threat has not attracted enough leadership, public and media attention to generate a concerted effort to halt the rate of biodiversity loss. This lack of awareness is attributed to the dearth of information campaigns and materials on the values of biodiversity. To help fill this gap, the ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity (ACB) and its partners are launching the ASEAN Champions of Biodiversity – a recognition program for outstanding achievements in biodiversity Conservation and advocacy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam).
The program is aimed at generating greater leadership, public and media awareness of the problems facing the region’s rich but highly threatened biodiversity and the need a concerted effort in biodiversity conservation and advocacy.Specifically, the project aims to:
- Recognize outstanding achievements of the private/corporate sector, media, and youth in biodiversity conservation and advocacy;
- Identify leaders among the private/corporate sector, media, and youth from which a cadre of champions will be selected to serve as Ambassadors of Goodwill for biodiversity;
- Promote awareness of the values of biodiversity among ASEAN leaders and the public in general;
- Promote corporate social responsibility (CSR) in biodiversity conservation and advocacy;
- Encourage the youth and media to participate in biodiversity conservation and advocacy; and
- Enhance linkages among ACB, the ASEAN Foundation, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the private/corporate sector, media, and youth.
Three awards will be given:
- Business/Corporations – Most Outstanding Biodiversity Conservation and/or Advocacy Project by a Private Business/Corporation
- Youth – Most Outstanding Biodiversity Conservation and/or Advocacy Project by a Youth Organization
- Media – Most Outstanding Biodiversity Reportage by a Media Organization
Methods of Submission
Nominations may only be submitted to the Secretariat of the ASEAN Biodiversity Champions Secretariat via post (snail mail), courier services, or e-mail (as attachment).
Documents should be sent as attachments to email@example.com
By mail or courier services:
The files should be sent in both hard and soft copies. Please address all entries to:
The Champions SecretariatASEAN Champions of BiodiversityASEAN Centre for Biodiversity3/D ERDB Building Forestry Campus, University of the Philippines Los BanosCollege, Los Banos, Laguna 4031 Philippines firstname.lastname@example.org
More information: http://www.aseanbiodiversity.org