The Special Youth Programme fellowship consists of an initial 4.5 months fellowship at UNFPA Headquarters, New York, followed – upon satisfactory performance – by a continued fellowship of another 4.5 months in the UNFPA Regional Office or Country Office in the region / country of the fellow.
UNFPA is currently recruiting for a group of fellows to start their fellowships in April/May.
Objective This programme is designed to give young people from developing countries opportunities to engage in policy development and programming; to help build the capacity of young people; and to sensitize both the young people and UNFPA staff on partnering to address adolescent and youth issues.
During the course of the programme, fellows will:
- Attend and participate in UNFPA and UN events and meetings as appropriate
- Undertake research and writing assignments
- Contribute to ongoing projects and programmes
- Organize a final presentation to UNFPA HQ staff on their projects and fellowships in Headquarters
- Interact with the New York local youth community on at least one occasion
- Develop a relationship with the Regional and Country Office and provide updates on their activities during the HQ fellowship
- Provide updates to HQ during fellowship at Regional or Country Office
In addition to development opportunities to experience working with a UN agency such as UNFPA, all qualified candidates will be provided the following:
- Cost of return travel from country of origin
- Assistance with travel documents and visa requirements
- Health insurance
- Housing arrangements
- Subsistence allowance (for meals and other basic needs)
- A workstation and internet access
- Opportunities to be mentored by UNFPA staff on issues of interest
- Administrative assistance as required
Qualifications and Experience
Criteria: Candidates must have some programme experience in areas of UNFPA’s mandate. These areas include: young people’s sexual and reproductive health, reproductive rights, humanitarian response, population, gender, culture, human rights, HIV prevention, poverty reduction, and sustainable livelihoods.
Eligibility: The following are the eligibility requirements for applying to this programme:
- Aged between 20-24 years old during the fellowship
- Residence and nationality of a developing country (Applicants from developed countries will not be considered for this programme, but are invited to apply for UNFPA’s regular internship programme)
- Established interest and dedication to development issues through previous experiences or affiliation with a youth network or NGO working on development issues
- Basic leadership and advocacy skills
- Basic understanding of issues of importance to UNFPA and what the organization stands for
- English language skills (written and oral)
- Commitment to return to home country to undertake follow up work with young people
For more informatin, please contact email@example.com