- Citizens of and residents in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, the Republic of Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Master’s/ or equivalent professional training and experiences (minimum of three years of university teaching experience for scholars or five years of work experience for professionals).
- Applicants must be 45 years old or younger at the time of the application deadline. However, those proposing to do research in the field of the Humanities, up to 50 years old, may be given special consideration.
- Proficiency in English or in the language of the host country appropriate to the proposed research project.
- Those who are currently enrolled in a degree program, or have just finished a degree program for less than one to two years will not be eligible to apply. Those who were recipients of a Ford Foundation fellowship grant within the last two years prior to the application date are also ineligible.
CONDITIONS OF THE AWARDS
The proposed research projects for the ASIA Fellows Awards can be carried out in only one participating country (other than the applicant’s own) and under the following conditions:
a) No applicants can propose to conduct their research in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan.
b) Applicants from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore cannot undertake research in each other’s countries.
c) Applicants from Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan can only apply to conduct their research in Thailand, the ASF host country.
Any portion of the proposed project that will be undertaken in the applicant’s own country will not be funded under the ASIA Fellows Awards.
The proposed grant period must be from six to nine months only. Once awarded, a fellow is required to carry out the research at the proposed host country throughout the grant period. Splitting of the grant period or conducting research in the applicant’s own country during the proposed grant period is not allowed, under any circumstances.
While an applicant from South or Southeast Asia may propose a research project in a country within his/her own region, preference is given to those who propose to conduct research in a region of Asia other than their own (e.g., an award to an Indian scholar or professional to do research in China).
Applicants should not plan to conduct their research in a country with which their home country has difficult diplomatic relationships because of the uncertainties in securing an affiliation or in obtaining a research clearance and visa for a long-term stay.
Fellowship awards are not for the purpose of completing requirements towards an academic degree (master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation).
All application materials must be received by t he appropriate offices listed below by: January 11, 2008 . Application form can be downloaded here or can be requested via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link: Official Website