Master’s Program in Sustainability Science is a new International master’s program to train internationally-minded professionals that can help create a sustainable society. All lectures and practical courses will be carried in English, and those that complete the program are presented with a “Master of Sustainability Science”.
This program will start in October, 2007 as a cross-sectional program between five departments in the Institute of Environmental Studies, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo, also supported by Transdisciplinary Initiative for Global Sustainability (TIGS), the University of Tokyo and Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science (IR3S).
This program will provide students with the basic knowledge and concepts necessary to build a sustainable society and features a unique curriculum which emphasizes exercises that enable them to master a diverse set of skills. Students from many different specializations and cultural backgrounds give serious thought to issues related to sustainability through exercises and projects and acquire practical knowledge and skills by stimulating one another intellectually.
Principally, there are two ways for admitting to Master’s Program in Sustainability Science (MPSS): (1) an international admission for international applicants (those without Japanese nationality) through a screening of application materials so that students from abroad may participate, (2) an entrance examination held in August in Kashiwa, Japan.
International Admission by a Screening of Application Materials
Admission of international applicants (those without Japanese nationality) to MPSS is determined by examining application documents, so that students from abroad need not to visit Japan only for taking an examination.
In Addition, MPSS expects students to concentrate on their study, therefore the program will prefer qualified students with sufficient financial source, i.e. scholarships.
As a candidate for the 2008 MPSS, there is a possibility to apply for either of following three scholarships through the program.
International Admission to 2008 Master’s Program in Sustainability Science (MPSS), With the University’s President Scholarship
- This scholarship is available only for 2008 April Enrollment.
- Application Due: January 15, 2008.
- Please refer to the following web page, The University President’s Scholarship
- For 2008 October Enrollment
- Citizens in Asian Development Bank (ADB)’s developing member countries can apply. Please check the eligibility first at ADB web site
- This scholarship is a part of “International Graduate Program at Division of (ADB-Japan Scholarship)”. For more detailed information, please refer to the following web site, Kashiwa International Office
- Application Due: December 31, 2007
- Topics of short essays
International Admission to 2008 Master’s Program in Sustainability Science (MPSS), With Japanese Government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) or “Monbukagakusho”) Scholarship
- For 2008 October Enrollment
- Application due: middle of January, 2008 (to be announced)
- Please refer to the following web page,
- Japanese Goverment (MEXT:Monbukagakusho) Scholarship
This examination is held in August in Kashiwa, Japan. Any applicants regardless of nationality can take this entrance examination, but all the applicants should visit Japan for taking this examination, even if you don’t live in Japan.
This examination consists of first stage (a screening based on application materials and short ) and second stage (an English test (submission of TOEFL score sheet, a TOEFL-ITP exam, or both) and an oral examination).
“Guidelines for Applicants” is open to public in every April.